| || || Edible greens -- Nutrition -- Solomon Islands|
| || || A comparative study on consumption of local leafy green vegetables by urban and rural school children in Solomon Islands|
Author: Waena, Ian Rahumaea
Institution: University of the South Pacific.
Subject: Edible greens -- Nutrition -- Solomon Islands
Call No.: Pac SB 339 .W34 2015
Abstract: Problems of micronutrient deficiencies and non-communicable diseases (NCDs) are increasing within the Pacific region. A shift in dietary patterns from high nutrient local to less nutrient imported foods and increased inactive lifestyles are increasing poor human health conditions, especially in children. People need to make right food decisions. This survey used a quantitative and qualitative approach to capture patterns, knowledge, attitudes, beliefs and practices of food consumption in Solomon Islanders. A structured questionnaire was used to describe the diet preferences of 120 school children in urban and rural Solomon Islands. Consumption of local leafy green vegetables (LLGVs), the dependent variable was measured. Both descriptive and inferential statistics were used to analyze the data. The descriptive statistics involved frequency tallies, percentages and averages while the inferential statistics used was chi-square (X2). The results showed equal proportions of respondents from urban and rural schools. Of these respondents, there were 43 percent males and 57 percent females who participated in the study. Out of 120 students interviewed, 25 percent were boarding and 75 percent were day schooling children. Most parents of respondents are unemployed (52 percent) while the rest of the parents (48 percent), either have formal permanent employment or adhoc jobs only. Approximately 62 percent of rural school children consume local leafy green vegetables (LLGVs) while only 20 percent is revealed for urban school children, for variable common diets consumed per week. Accordingly, most school children are not eating healthy meals. The results of the hypothesis testing at 95 percent and 99 percent confidence levels showed a significant relationship between location of school (X2 =21.60), education of parents (X2 = 14.66) and employment level of parents (X2 = 11.21) . The study therefore recommended a more practical approach to nutrition awareness.